Search This Blog

Friday, November 18, 2016

Birth Story : Braxton Wyatt Coulter

To say that my second pregnancy and labor went any easier than my first would be a dream.  I went in for a check up on November 3rd and talked with my Midwife Teresa about my labor plan and I kept telling her I knew he would be coming soon.  She had a vacation planned for the following week/weekend, and for some reason I just had this feeling he would be coming before she came back.  She was the midwife that delivered Kane and I thought it would be special for her to deliver Braxton as well!  My labor plan was to have no pain medication/epidural and to deliver via water birth! 

  In the middle of the night on November 5th, I woke up soaked in blood.  I instantly started bawling and had no idea what to do, I thought in that moment I had lost my baby.  I called into Labor & Delivery and they paged my midwife to give me a call right away.  In the 5 minutes of waiting, I had already called my mom freaking out and she was on her way to pickup Kane, just incase I needed to go in right away.  My Midwife called back, and apparently bleeding like that is somewhat common at the end of pregnancy due to cervical changes (I had absolutely no idea).  I ended up going in the next morning, November 6th, due to no fetal movement.  Of course as soon as they hooked me up to the monitors for a NST (Non-Stress Test) Braxton started moving around like crazy!  I found out while I was there that I was 2cm dilated and 50% effaced.  

I went in for another checkup on November 12th with another on of the Midwifes named Diane.  I ended up testing positive for GBS (Streptococcus Group B) and found out I would be needing antibiotics during labor, but luckily this would NOT affect my labor plan much.  I just would need to come in as soon as my water broke to start administration of the antibiotics.  I left my appointment and headed straight to the chiropractor as I had for the past few days before.  I was beyond uncomfortable and it was the only thing keeping me partially sane.  After my pregnancy with Kane, I had become a firm believer in the Chiropractor.  Braxton had always been head down, but he was turned the wrong way (I believe he was facing sunny side up? I can't 100% remember the prime position for labor, but all I know is that he was the opposite!)  The chiropractor really helped to get him comfortable and turned the correct way to HOPEFULLY allow for a smooth labor. 

I went home and relaxed in the tub and made sure everything was packed and ready to go.  My contractions were picking up, but not enough to get excited about.  I woke up the next day, November 13th (Friday the 13th) and I just knew that it was the day.  Around 11am, I was sitting in Kane's room on the floor packing up his overnight bag so it was ready to go, when I felt a pop and a HUGE gush of warm fluid!  With Kane I had only a small leak but I knew EXACTLY what this was!  I started yelling for Josh and he came running up and busted out laughing!  I was soaked, the floor was soaked and I was just trying to walk over to our room to change into dry clothes!  Since I was GBS+ and couldn't labor at home, I called my mom to leave work, and we headed over to her house to drop off Kane.

I arrived at the hospital sometime around 12:30pm and was excited to see that the nurse working was the same nurse (Nikki) that delivered Kane! It was great to see a familiar face, especially since my Midwife was on vacation!  (Sadly she wouldn't get to stick around for too long because her shift was over, and a new nurse ended up taking over.) I got all checked in and they confirmed it was my water that had broken.  I made myself comfortable and they started my antibiotics.  At this point my contractions were pretty far apart (about 15 minutes) and not very strong, I was still only 2cm dilated and 50% effaced.  Labor was dragging on, but I was doing it on my own.  Around 8:30pm my Midwife checked me again and I had only progressed to about 3cm and still only 50% effaced.  She decided that if by 9:30-10pm I had not progressed to at least 4cm, we would need to take a more aggressive approach - they would be putting in Cervidil to help labor progress.  Sadly around 10pm, I had still not progressed any further so the Cervidil was placed!

 At that point, labor really started to pick up.  The contractions were coming faster, stronger, and were lasting longer.  Around 12am, I decided to go for a pain medication to hopefully get a little rest before Braxton's big arrival.  Despite the medication, I was unable to get much sleep and the contractions were coming on top of one another!  Around 1:30am I paged the nurse to tell her the pain medication wasn't working any my contractions were right on top of each other.  She informed me that my contractions were registering at 15 MINUTES APART!  There was no possible way, I was feeling them literally every other minute!  She reassured me that they were actually pretty far apart and that I should probably just get the epidural to sleep.  (I found out later by my Midwife Teresa, that due to the pain medication, the monitor wasn't picking up my contractions)  They checked me again, and at this point I had dilated to 6cm (could be stretched to 10cm) and was 90% effaced.
Around 2:45am I decided to get the epidural to relax and get some sleep.  I was devastated that labor plan of no medication/epidural and a water birth was completely shattered.  All of the doctors and nurses left the room so that I could get some rest.  Not even 10 minutes later, I was paging the nurse to send in my Midwife to check me.  I was feeling a TON of pressure and the urge to push.  Diane came in to check me but to our surprise, Braxton's head was RIGHT THERE!  My birth photographer was on her way, so I told them we needed to hold off until she got there to capture his arrival!  I held out as long as I could, but his heart rate started dropping and I needed to push right away!  In 3 pushes my little man flew into the world!  Braxton Wyatt Coulter was born on November 14th, 2015 at 3:19am weighing 6 pounds, 3.5 ounces and was 20" long!  He was an instant breastfeeding champ and perfect little man! 

SNAPCHAT:: jordanrenie

No comments:

Post a Comment